(THUNDER BAY, ON) – An East End house fire at the corner of McLaughlin and Connolly sparked a 911 call that summoned Thunder Bay Fire & Rescue (TBFR) as well as Superior North EMS.
TBFR firefighters arrived at the burning home around 10:00 pm and noticed heavy flames and smoke billowing out of the rear of the two-storey multi-unit building.
Through the front door of the structure, the main-floor residents were able to escape the inferno. Sadly, the tenants on the second floor were unable to leave as easily. The second floor contained a mother and two children that had firefighters bravely rescue the family through the front window via a ladder.
Paramedics on the scene tended to the children and woman although they did not sustain any serious injuries.
During the incident, firefighters continued to battle the blaze and eventually put it out and chilled any and all hot spots.
A building beside the structure had some siding melt due to the intense heat and proximity to the fire.
TBFR Firefighters want to remind the public that it is important for every building, including homes, to have a “fire escape plan” and that everyone that enters the home or building should be aware of the plan. The investigation into the fire is continuing.