Police Arrest a Pikangikum Evacuee After Airlane Hotel Incident

(THUNDER BAY, ON) – Yes, for the third day in a row there was a Pikangikum evacuee in bail court regarding an incident at the Airlane Hotel. Appearing this morning before Her Worship, Justice of the Peace Jennifer Neill was 33-year-old Derek Turtle of Pikangikum First Nation. Crown Attorney Delaney and duty counsel Morris were also present.


Officers from the Thunder Bay Police Service responded to a call for service at the Airlane Hotel regarding a fight happening in a room. Police gained entry to the room and found a man and a woman in the room. After running the man’s name in the system, they had discovered that he was under bail conditions not to be in contact with the woman. His previous charge(s) are from an incident that happened in Pikangikum and details were not available in court this morning.

Police hear that the male had been with the woman since they evacuated the forest fire threatened Pikangikum and she wants him away from her. He was arrested and taken into custody. Police charged him with breaching his bail condition to not contact the woman.

The Crown recommends release of the man under the following conditions:

  • No contact with the alleged victim.
  • Not to be anywhere the alleged victim works, goes to school, lives, or otherwise may be.
  • Not to attend the Airlane Hotel.
  • Report his new address to the Thunder Bay Police Service within 24 hours of being released.
  • Report any change of his address to the Thunder Bay Police Service within 24 hours.
  • Not to possess any weapons as described in the criminal code.

The Red Cross is being tasked with getting evacuees new rooms when they are alleged to assault their roommates or otherwise commit crime together.


Duty counsel agrees to the conditions on behalf of turtle and he is ordered released. He is scheduled to appear in a Thunder Bay courtroom on August 19th to begin the process of answering to the charges.

Comments are closed.