(THUNDER BAY, ON) – Just after 3:30 a.m. on October 9, 2018, patrol officers observed a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed as it swerved off Arthur Street onto May Street, failing to stop at the red light.

Officers followed the vehicle that stopped in the laneway behind the Columbus Center. The male driver exited the vehicle brandishing a knife and began to flee.


An officer pursued him and the male then pulled out a hammer and swung it at the officer. A second officer assisted in getting the male handcuffed after a struggle.

A female in the vehicle exited and began aggressively yelling and swearing at the officers. She was also taken into custody. A search of the male resulted in several weapons being seized.

Tyler Neil Alan Boily, 32-years-old of Thunder Bay appeared in court and was remanded into custody on the following charges:

  1. Resists Arrest
  2. Dangerous Driving
  3. Assault Police
  4. Weapons Dangerous

Some history below on Tyler Boily.

Tyler Boily killed two people in a highway collision on the Thunder Bay Expressway at the Neebing River Bridge in March 2014. He has plead guilty to the charges in a Thunder Bay courtroom.

He plead guilty to two counts of dangerous driving causing death, in which Michelle Parker and Daniel Brooks, both 28-years-0ld at the time, died.

Boily was sentenced to five years in a federal prison. He was credited for presentence custody and only had 40 months left as of May 2015.

A urine and blood test done at the hospital revealed that Boily had cocaine and marijuana in his system at the time of the fatal collision. An amount of cocaine and marijuana was also seized from his vehicle after the incident.


Boily was sentenced to serve some of his sentence at the Kwikwexwelhp Healing Lodge in British Columbia, a minimum security federal institution for First Nations men.

He was also to be under a 10-year driving ban, and a 10-year weapons ban once released.

*** UPDATE OCTOBER 10: Tyler Boily and Elyssa Kartinen appeared back in court again today to face more charges in relation to the dangerous driving incident that they were arrested for on October 9, 2018.


The follow up investigation revealed that the vehicle they were in was taken without permission. The owner of the vehicle eventually reported it stolen to police.

Both have subsequently been charged with Possession of Stolen Property Over $5000 and appeared in court . Kartinen was released with a future court date. Boily was remanded into custody.

Elyssa Kartinen, 24-years-old of Thunder Bay appeared in court and was released with a future court date charged with:

  1. Obstruct Police
  2. Resist Arrest

Boily will be returning to court tomorrow.


Kartinen’s release conditions are:

  • No contact with Tyler Boily
  • Curfew of 10pm – 6am
  • Attend the door when requested by police during curfew hours

She has a future court date of November 6th.

This investigation is ongoing.

With files from: TBPS Media Release

Comments are closed.