(SIOUX LOOKOUT, ON) On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at approximately 12:17pm, Sioux Lookout Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers were dispatched to a report of a possible impaired driver on Highway 642, approximately 10 km east of Sioux Lookout. The driver of the vehicle was driving erratically at a high rate of speed and throwing garbage out of the window.
When police tried to catch up to the suspect vehicle with lights and sirens activated, the driver did not stop for police. Police made multiple efforts to stop the vehicle as the driver continued driving at a high rate of speed through downtown Sioux Lookout.
The driver drove through the access gate to the Airport, and approached the tarmac. The driver then drove up a taxiway and exited the vehicle while it was still moving and caused the vehicle to crash in an open field between the runway and the airport.
She was then taken into custody by officers on the taxiway of the Sioux Lookout Airport and transported to the Sioux Lookout detachment.
As a result of the investigation, Tiffany Chandell HUEBERT (34) of Winnipeg, MB, has been charged with the following:
- Dangerous Operation contrary to Section 320.13(1) of the Criminal Code (7 counts)
- Dangerous Operation Causing Bodily Harm contrary to Section 320.12(2) of the Criminal Code
- Failure to Stop after an Accident, contrary to Section 320.16(1) of the Criminal Code
- Flight from Peace Officer, contrary to section 320.17 of the Criminal Code
- Theft of Motor Vehicle, contrary to Section 333.1 of the Criminal Code
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000, contrary to Section 354.1(a) of the Criminal Code
- Mischief Under $5,000, contrary to Section 430(4) of the Criminal Code (4 counts)
- Hijacking Deviate From Flight Plan, contrary to section 76(d) of the Criminal Code
- Damaging or interfering with navigation facility contrary to section 77(e) of the Criminal Code
- Enter on land on which a line work is situated, contrary to Section 26.1 of the Railway Safety Act.
She is being held in custody and is scheduled to appear in Sioux Lookout Bail Court on Monday, June 17, 2019 to answer to the charges.
The OPP is committed to safety for all who utilize Ontario’s roadways. Members of the public are urged to report dangerous driving by calling 911 in emergency situations.