(KAPUSKASING, ON) – On January 2, 2019, at approximately 9:30 p.m., members of the James Bay Detachments of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a robbery in progress at a local convenience store on Brunetville Road in the Town of Kapuskasing, Ontario.
A short time later, police located and arrested the male suspect. Sources indicate the male used a long gun in the armed robbery.
The OPP’s Emergency Response Team (ERT), Canine Unit (K9), Forensic Identification Services (FIS) and the James Bay Detachments’ Crime Unit assisted with the investigation.
Sebastian THERRIEN, 27 years-of-age, from Kapuskasing, Ontario has been charged with the following offences:
- Robbery Using Firearm contrary to section 344(1)(a.1) of the Criminal Code of Canada (CC),
- Disguise with Intent contrary to section 351(2) CC,
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose contrary to section 88 CC,
- Firearm – Use While Committing Offence contrary to section 85(1)(a) CC,
- Pointing a Firearm contrary to section 87 CC,
- Assault with a Weapon contrary to section 267(a) CC,
- Mischief Over $5000 contrary to section 430(3) CC,
- Disobeying Court Order contrary to section 127 CC, and
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance – Cocaine contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA).
The accused has been remanded into custody and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Cochrane, Ontario on January 4, 2019, to answer to the charges.