(NIPIGON, ON) – In the early morning hours of March 12, 2019 members of the Nipigon Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police received a report of an elderly male being assaulted during a break and enter at a Bell St. residence in the town of Nipigon. Police attended to find an 81 year old male the victim of an assault with a weapon (wood) by two intruders. Both suspects had fled the scene on foot.
The Nipigon OPP with the assistance of the North West Region Forensic Identification Unit and North West Region Crime Unit were able to quickly identify the suspects.
Police attended a Nipigon residence a short time later and arrested a male and female. Charged is 29-year-old Nelson Brown of Dorion, ON. He is charged with the following offences:
- Adult Break and Enter a dwelling house with the intent to commit an indictable offence contrary to section 348(1)(a) of the Criminal Code
- Assault with a weapon contrary to section 267(a) of the Criminal Code
- Adult Unlawfully in dwelling house contrary to section 349(1) of the Criminal Code.
The second suspect M.F. has been identified as a 16-year-old female, a young person within the meaning of the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA). She is facing the following charges:
- Break, Enter Dwelling House – commit indictable offence contrary to section 348(1)(b) of the Criminal Code Unlawfully in Dwelling House contrary to section 349(1) of the Criminal Code
- Fail to comply with sentence contrary to the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
- Assault with a weapon contrary to section 267(a) of the Criminal Code.
Both suspects are in custody and are scheduled to attend Thunder Bay Provincial Court On March 13th, 2019 to answer to the charges. The male victim received non-life threatening injuries.
UPDATE: The youth was released on a $500 no-deposit bail and is to reside in the Lake Helen First Nation
Send photos of Nelson Brown to our Facebook page or by email to email@example.com
Source: OPP with files from the Thunder Bay Courthouse – Inside Edition team