(NIPIGON, ON) – On Tuesday, July 24, 2018, at approximately 2:00 am, a uniform member of the Nipigon detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) stopped a westbound Grey Mitsubishi RVR motor on Highway 11-17 in the Township of Nipigon for speeding.
Upon the officer approaching, the driver abruptly drove off at high speed.
In the interest of public safety, police did not initiate a pursuit, opting instead to broadcast via police radio, a description of the vehicle and driver to other officers and a search was initiated.
At approximately 6:00 am while evading police the vehicle became stuck on a side road off Highway 17 in Wiggins Township.
The driver requested assistance from a passing motorist. The motorist was aware that police were searching for someone in the area and delivered the driver to nearby police.
Upon speaking to the driver, police determined he had been consuming alcohol.
The vehicle and plates were found to have been stolen from the Brampton Ontario area and not yet reported to police.
The driver, Ram DUBEY, 33 years old of Mississauga, ON, was arrested and transported to the Nipigon OPP detachment. Dubey has been charged with:
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle contrary to section 249 (1) of the Criminal Code
- Flight from Police contrary to section 249.1 of the Criminal Code
- Fail to Provide Breath Sample 254(3) of the Criminal Code
- Three counts of Possession of property obtained by crime contrary to section 354 of the Criminal Code
- Breach of Recognizance contrary to section 145 (3) of the Criminal Code
- Driving with no licence contrary to section 32(1) of the Highway Traffic Act
- Fail to identify contrary to section 33(3) of the Highway Traffic Act
- Use plate not authorized for vehicle contrary to section 12(1)(d) of the Highway Traffic Act
- Speeding contrary to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act
Dubey will appear for a bail hearing before the Ontario Court of Justice, on July 25th, 2018.
Source: OPP Media Release.