(THUNDER BAY, ON) – Last night, a woman claims she escaped being further sexually assaulted in an incident at the Landmark Hotel. The woman escaped and sought help from other visitors at the hotel. Police were called and an investigation was started.
It was alleged that there were witnesses to this incident.
As a result of that investigation, numerous people were arrested, some for outstanding warrants. The suspect, 18-year-old Ethan Mamakwa. He has been charged with one count of sexual assault.
Mamakwa appeared in a Thunder Bay courtroom this morning via video link from the Thunder Bay Police Service station. His Worship, Justice of the Peace Marcel Donio was presiding along with a Crown Attorney and duty counsel.
The Crown consents to the release of Ethan on an undertaking with the following conditions:
- Reside at his home in the 600 block of James Street North.
- Curfew of 10:00 pm to 6:00 am.
- Present himself at the door when requested by police.
- Not to contact the victim along with 3 witnesses.
- Not to be within 50 meters of anywhere the victim or witnesses may be.
- No weapons.
- Not to possess or consume alcohol or other intoxicating substances.
Ethan was ordered released from jail and has a future court date set. None of the allegations have been proven in court.