(RED LAKE, ON) – On October 20, 2019 at approximately 1:16 p.m., officers from the Red Lake Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were waved down by a citizen who described a vehicle that was driving in an unsafe manner on Discovery Road, within the Municipality of Red Lake.
The officers patrolled the area & observed the vehicle which was now parked. The driver was spoken to & was demanded an approved screening device breath sample. The driver failed, was placed under arrest for Operation While Impaired, and returned to the detachment for further tests.
As a result of the investigation Patrick MAKI, 32, of Thunder Bay, was charged with:
- 1x Operation While Impaired – Alcohol contrary to Section 320.14(1)(a) of the Criminal Code;
- 1x Operation While Impaired – 80 plus contrary to Section 320.14(1)(b) of the Criminal Code;
- Novice driver – BAC above zero contrary to Section 44.1(3) of the Highway Traffic Act;
- Drive motor vehicle cannabis readily available contrary to Section 12(1) of the Cannabis Control Act;
- Drive motor vehicle open container of liquor contrary to the Liquor Licence Act 32(1)
MAKI was released by way of Promise to Appear for Red Lake court on December 19, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. to answer to the charges.
Motorists who drive impaired by alcohol or drugs are subject to drivers licence suspensions, fines, vehicle impoundments, criminal records and increased insurance costs. Please drive responsibly, don’t drink and drive.
The OPP is committed to safety for all who utilize Ontario’s roadways. Members of the public are urged to report Impaired Driving by calling 911 in emergency situations. Complaints of impaired, aggressive or careless driving can also be made by calling 1-888-310-1122.