(ESPANOLA, ON) – The Manitoulin Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is currently investigating several thefts and attempted thefts from vehicles, garages and sheds in the Parchment Avenue and Talbot Street area of Espanola, Ontario. The incidents occurred overnight between September 16, and September 17, 2019.
Later on September 17, 2019 officers with the Manitoulin OPP arrested a person in relation to several of the occurrences.
As a result of the investigation, 31-year-old Gordon WRIGHT from Espanola, Ontario, has been charged with:
- Trespassing at Night – four counts, contrary to section 177 of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Theft Under $5,000 From a Motor Vehicle, contrary to section 334 (b) of the CC;
- Break, Enter a place – with Intent to Commit Indictable Offence, contrary to section 348(1)(a) of the CC;
- Break, Enter Dwelling House – Commit Indictable Offence, contrary to section 348(1)(b) of the CC;
- Possession Break In Instruments, contrary to section 351(1) of the CC; and
- Mischief Under $5,000, contrary to section 430(4) of the CC.
The accused is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Espanola on October 7, 2019.
The Manitoulin OPP would like to remind the public to lock their sheds, garages and vehicles. If anyone observes suspicious activity, they immediately should contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122.