(THUNDER BAY, ON) – A small fire broke out in the emergency department of the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre on Saturday evening.
Thunder Bay Fire & Rescue reports that an employee of the hospital extinguished the fire before firefighters arrived on the scene around 6:00 pm.
A patient that was in the emergency department at the time of the fire told TRCC News that a drunken man had lit his bed on fire causing himself to get burned. Patients in the emergency department were asked to evacuate to the waiting room. Those who could, made their way there, those who couldn’t were apparently left in the emergency department. Patients say they saw the man on the burnt stretcher remain in the emergency department.
The fire is under investigation by both the Thunder Bay Police Service and the Thunder Bay Fire & Rescue.
Smoke was removed from the emergency department using fans and the ventilation system.
We are expecting a criminal charge to stem from the incident.